At Fort Mifflin
Overnight Programs at Fort Mifflin
Spend the night in a National Historic Landmark! Your troop will have an authentic and historic experience sure to be remembered for a lifetime.
Sleep in barracks used by centuries of soldiers, explore the casemates, raise the spectacular Fort Mifflin flag, experience a Ghost Tour, explore the High Battery area, Nature Trail and MORE!
Your stay includes activities and plenty of free time to work toward badge/loop requirements under the direction of your own troop leaders.
History Overnights at Fort Mifflin include:
- Overnight stay in the fort’s historic buildings or in tents on our parade grounds
- Personal guided tour of the Fort with Uniform and Weapons Demonstration with a uniformed interpreter
- A Fort Mifflin-themed Scavenger Hunt
- A Cannon Demonstration
- Access to Nature Trails and riverfront High Battery Area
- Plenty of time for individual and small group exploration for badge/loop requirements (guidelines provided with booking confirmation)
- Ample free parking
A Fort Mifflin staff member is on-site for your visit to ensure the security of the site. However, you are responsible for the safety of the scouts at all times. Fort Mifflin is not liable for lost or stolen items. Troop leaders will need to sign waivers understanding the rules and regulations of the Fort.
$35 per person, per night (minimum 25 participants). A non-refundable deposit of $100 is required in advance to reserve your space. The remaining balance is due upon arrival. We accept cash, credit cards (Visa and Master Card), money orders and checks (Payable to “Fort Mifflin on the Delaware”).
We also offer the following additional options to enhance your experience:
- Ghost Tour – Take a guided tour through the Fort’s history, learning the spookier aspects of the Fort’s history and the spirits who may inhabit it. $5 per person.
- Educational Programs – Choose from a Revolutionary War or Civil War Soldier’s Life program (approximately 45 minutes) $5 per person.
- Breakfast – Hot and cold cereal, bagels, muffins, milk, juice, and plenty of coffee for the grown-ups! $7 per person.
- Charcoal Grills – $10 per grill (we ask groups bring their own charcoal and remove from site when leaving).
- Bottled water — $6 per five gallon jug
- Kitchen Use – store and cook your own food in our kitchen on site. $30 one time fee.
Program Length and Availability
Scout overnights generally begin at 5:00 pm and end by 10:00 am the next day. Personal items must be cleared from public areas by 10:00am to accommodate the Fort’s public hours, but you may stay on site as short or long as you like during the day, vacating when the site closes at 4:00pm. Programs are tailored to your schedule. The Scout Overnight Program is available Fridays and Saturdays year round but dates can be blacked out for regularly scheduled programming and weekends in the months of April and November are very popular. May and October dates are extremely limited due to our own programming. Contact us as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment! Multiple nights are available, subject to our own programming and the understanding that personal items must be removed during public hours. Overnights must be booked at least 45 days in advance to guarantee staffing requirements.
We require a minimum of 25 participants for overnight programs. We can accommodate up to 60 participants in our buildings comfortably, but have plenty of room for tenting. Day Trips can be scheduled for groups of 20 or more.
Your troop can stay in any of the designated restored historic buildings (Enlisted Barracks, the Casemates or the Arsenal), but the size of the troop will be a factor due to the limited size of these buildings. The Barracks are temperature controlled, and the Casemates have working fireplaces in them (Groups MUST bring their own firewood). Alternately, you may pitch a tent and sleep under the stars on the Parade Ground, up on the Parapet or in the picnic area. Separate Bathroom facilities for boys and girls are located inside the fort, but we have no showers and the water is not potable, so please plan to bring your own or purchase from us (see below).
Your troop is responsible for providing your own food, unless you would like us to prepare your breakfast ($7 per person). We allow cooking over open fire pits (dug by your group and returned to their original condition). We also offer charcoal grills for rental at $10 per grill (please supply your own charcoal and remove when leaving). We also offer use of our kitchen for a $30 fee. Please note: the water on site is not potable, so please bring your own bottled water. We do also offer five gallon jugs of water at $6 per jug. Pete’s Pizza, located at 7229 Passyunk Avenue is also within delivery distance from Fort Mifflin. They can be reached at (215)-365-3775. There are a variety of fast food restaurants, as well as a Shop Rite, on Island Avenue, approximately 10 minutes from the Fort.
Suggested Personal Items to Bring:
- Comfortable bedding, including pillow (an air mattress is a good idea.)
- Drinking Water (we only have non-potable water.)
- Your Favorite Snacks
- Your own tent and/or cot (if you plan to sleep outside.)
- Warm clothing in the cooler months and rain gear if it has rained in the last 24 hours, especially boots and extra socks.
INTERESTED IN SCHEDULING AN OVERNIGHT PROGRAM?
To book your overnight program, contact us via email ([email protected]) or phone (215-685-4167).